Nabbed this one from Sophia.
I think we were lower middle class growing up – I’m still trying to grow out of it. I never thought of myself as a privileged person, but according to this list, I guess I was a bit.
A small meme on privilege. Of course, bold whatever applies to you.
- Father went to college.
- Father finished college.
- Mother went to college.
- Mother finished college. (associates Degree at 42)
- Have any relative who is an attorney, physician, or professor.
- Were the same or higher class than your high school teachers.
- Had more than 50 books in your childhood home.
- Had more than 500 books in your childhood home.
- Had lessons of any kind before you turned 18.
- Had more than two kinds of lessons before you turned 18.
- The people in the media who dress and talk like me are portrayed positively.
- Had a credit card with your name on it before you turned 18.
- Your parents (or a trust) paid for the majority of your college costs.
- Your parents (or a trust) paid for all of your college costs.
- Went to a private high school.
- Went to summer camp.
- Had a private tutor before you turned 18.
- Family vacations involved staying at hotels. (motels and hostels)
- Your clothing was all bought new before you turned 18. (K-mart, but new)
- Your parents bought you a car that was not a hand-me-down from them.
- There was original art in your house when you were a child.
- You and your family lived in a single-family house.
- Your parent(s) owned their own house or apartment before you left home.
- You had your own room as a child.
- You had a phone in your room before you turned 18.
- Participated in a SAT/ACT prep course.
- Had your own TV in your room in high school.
- Owned a mutual fund or IRA in high school or college.
- Flew anywhere on a commercial airline before you turned 16.
- Went on a cruise with your family.
- Went on more than one cruise with your family.
- Your parents took you to museums and art galleries as you grew up.
- You were unaware of how much heating bills were for your family.
One thought on “On Privilege..”
Ha! My Mum took us to museums and art galleries because they were free! I took my kid to the art gallery yesterday because it was boiling hot, and we don’t have air conditioning at home. (I’m in Australia, it’s summer)
It’s an interesting meme, but many of my answers are ‘sometimes’ rather than yes or no – like having my own room. We moved a lot, as my siblings and I grew and changed our needs changed, and rooms got shuffled.